Literary Allusions in Fun Home

Throughout her novel, Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, Allison Bechdel alludes to several pieces of literature in order to provide the reader with a deeper understanding of the scene at play and provide an additional illustration. Not only would she compare scenes to literature with a simile (ex. ______ was like <insert piece of literature), but she would also zoom in and focus on the books that her father was reading, indicating greater importance and meaning to the reader. This was a notable stylistic choice in her writing that constantly made me feel like she was dropping in extra hints or symbolism that you wouldn't quite get unless you dug into them -- maybe it was just me because I was unfamiliar with most of these titles but after looking more into them, you begin to realize how interesting her subtle allusions were. 

One of the first books she alludes to is A Happy Death by Albert Camus. This piece of literature is introduced as one that her father was reading before he died and possibly committed suicide. Allison even notes that the book was left in what "might be a deliberate construed manner", indicating her father's death was not quite a coincidence. By itself, the title is pretty striking and can symbolize Bruce's passing. However, diving deeper into the plot of A Happy Death, I see a striking similarity to Bruce's life. The novel focuses on the existentialist topic of the "will to happiness" -- the idea that one consciously needs to create their own happiness and needs time and money to do so. The main character, Patrice Mersault, lives a "monotone" and "empty life" with a terrible office job and a so-called, meaningless relationship. While the story does not end there, I feel this clearly depicts Bruce's own life. He lives a frustrating life with a funeral home job he doesn't seem to be particularly ecstatic by, is stuck in a relationship that seems to hold no more love and attraction (not to mention he is hiding his sexuality), and as Allison describes it, while it seems picture-perfect on the outside, Bruce's life is truly a sham/fraud. Furthermore, one mode of Bruce's "creation of happiness" is refurbishing their house and making his "art". 

Another book Allison alludes to is A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce, which she is assigned to read in her English class. A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man is about the religious and intellectual awakening of young Stephen Dedalus. The book follows his growth and displays his great appreciation for art. While the novel could also represent Bruce, I believe it bears a closer similarity to Allison's own life. Bruce even tells Allison that she should identify with "every page" -- indicating that he also saw a similarity between the two. Allison also has a clear appreciation for art throughout her growth, whether it's poetry, painting, or her mother's acting. Additionally, within Fun Home, we see Allison's intellectual and sexual awakening. It's especially important because this novel is assigned to her in college, where she truly begins this journey -- from picking up the book at the library (to start her lesbian "exploration") or getting closer to her father through discussions on her English assignments, this novel truly marks new beginning and duration of these journeys of Allison's. 

Lastly, one of the most famous and notable allusions was to The Odyssey. I think this allusion could really symbolize two things in the novel and Allison's life -- one being her relationship with her father and the other being her sexuality. The Odyssey is famously a coming-of-age story where Odysseus goes on a journey, faces several mystical creatures, and fights to return back to his wife and son. When Allison talks about her sexual exploration, she refers to the epic, "I embarked that day on an Odyssey which was nearly as epic as the original". This clearly paints Odysseus's long and eventful journey in comparison with her own sexual exploration, filled with bumps, uncertainty, and complicated relationships with her parents. Moreover, The Odyssey also demonstrates her relationship with her father, painted as the relationship between Odysseus and Telemachus. They describe Odysseus's relationship as a "spiritual father" as opposed to a "true-blood father" which I think fittingly describes Allison and Bruce. Bruce seems to hover over Allison and acts as a father, but the two really never bond or get very close in a meaningful way.

Comments

  1. Your post is so meaningful! I really appreciate you explaining some of the references made in the novel, I feel like I have a lot more context. I really like the idea that Alison is the father or parent of a myth, and Bruce is the son/child (like when Alison talks about Daedalus and Icarus, she kind of says they are each both characters). This works especially well when you look at the Odyssey, where Alison is Odysseus and Bruce is Telemachus, because Alison is embarking on a journey greater than Bruce's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wasn't super familiar with the books that she referenced but with your explanations they do really seem to add to what she's trying to say about her and her father's own life. It seems like she might be using other people's writing to help her make sense of her own life, and it's kind of cool like to see a character(/real person I guess) in a book using books that way. Either way you really dug into these other books and they reveal things I didn't pick up on at all reading it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely just skimmed over the titles of the books while reading Fun Home and didn't think twice about underlying meaning. After reading your post, I realized things about the storyline that I didn't know while actually reading Fun Home, which it's cool that Bechdel includes these novels because it's like a message that only people with prior knowledge of those novels will understand, and people who didn't read the books wouldn't think much of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holden's Sexism

10 Things I Hate About You: A Romantic Coming-of-Age

January Man: A Start and an End